This Week in History
Sep 11, 2017 | 2464 views | 0 0 comments | 174 174 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Twenty years ago, Mount Snow announced that the opening of the new Grand Summit Hotel would be delayed.
Twenty years ago, Mount Snow announced that the opening of the new Grand Summit Hotel would be delayed.
15 years ago:

The Wilmington Selectboard sought a binding decision from the state regarding cost-shifting strategies they implemented to comply with a Town Meeting decision to defy Act 60 and use municipal tax money to fund the school budget.

Meanwhile, Wilmington School Board members started taking steps to bring a lawsuit against the state over education funding. The board consulted an attorney who suggested that any legal action should focus on the teaching environment – including the Wilmington Middle High School building.

20 years ago:

Mount Snow announced that the opening of their new Grand Summit Hotel, scheduled for late December, would be delayed at least until February. Resort officials said complications in scheduling construction were to blame for the delay.

Wardsboro was slated to receive almost $42,000 in impact mitigation fees for the Long Trail House and other projects at Stratton Mountain. The projects were planned to take place over 12 years, and the mitigation funding was contingent on a successful permit process.

25 years ago:

An East Dover man filed charges against three state police officers, claiming they violated his civil rights when they strip-searched him on the shoulder of Route 30 in the summer of 1989 after finding three marijuana cigarettes in his jacket pocket. Police also obtained and executed a search warrant for his East Dover home.

30 years ago:

Police reported that a Pepsi truck went off the road near Yeaw Road in Dover, crashing into a ditch. No injuries were reported, but the truck sustained heavy damage. Police said there was “Pepsi everywhere,” and Dover road foreman Phil Bartlett noted “There were a lot of nickels lying in the road.”

Dover Selectboard members discussed the possibility of “regionalizing” emergency services, including police, fire, and rescue.

35 years ago:

Local residents Marianne and Cliff Bouchard purchased the Tollhouse Inn, a B&B in West Dover.

Gov. Richard Snelling enjoyed a meet ‘n’ greet at the Deerfield Valley Farmers’ Day Fair.

Steve Bartlett, of East Dover, was the lucky winner of a moped raffled by the Wilmington Lions Club at the Deerfield Valley Farmers’ Day Fair.

40 years ago:

Tricia and Ken O’Connell opened Fireside Delicatessen in Wilmington. Originally from Long Island, NY, the couple moved to Wilmington from Manchester.

John Little and Debbie Meslar purchased Dot’s Restaurant at the bridge in downtown Wilmington. The two had both worked at restaurants in the valley before buying and renovating the diner. John and Debbie said they wanted to maintain the “warm, down home, reliable feeling that is Dot’s.”

Readsboro received a $1.3 million federal grant for the construction of water pollution control facilities. The project aimed to improve water quality in the Deerfield River. At the time, untreated wastewater was being discharged into the river.

45 years ago:

A 14-year-old boy was seriously injured at Lake Raponda when he fell out of a power boat that he was operating. The boat circled around and ran over him, injuring his face, neck, and chest. A passenger in the boat steered the boat away and shut off the engine. Bystanders were able to help him to shore and took him to the Deerfield Valley Medical Center.

Lee Rich opened the Rich Agency, an insurance agency in Wilmington. Rich had 26 years experience in the insurance business, and he and his wife Mari-Lou moved to Vermont in 1966, 10 years after they purchased a vacation home in Wilmington.

Lee Jorgensen, of Salt Lake City, UT, former director of the Utah Travel Council, was tapped to replace John Christie as general manager of Mount Snow.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

Comment Policy

In an effort to promote reasoned discussion, transparency, and integrity in online commenting, The Deerfield Valley News requires anyone posting comments to identify themselves using their real name. Anonymous commenting will not be allowed. All comments will be subject to approval before posting, and may take up to 24 hours for approval to be granted.

We encourage civil discourse among readers, and ask that they be willing to stand behind their identities and their comments. No personal harassment or hate speech will be tolerated. Please be succinct and to the point. For longer comments, please consider submitting a letter to the editor instead. It will appear in both the print and online editions.

All comments will be reviewed, and we reserve the right to reject, edit or remove any comment for any reason. For questions or to express concerns feel free to contact our office at (802) 464-3388.