Teams play a huge role in the race, and many teams have been together for years, running and walking to acknowledge and honor the survivorship and/or memory of a loved one. Each year, Hildene Meadows and River Road are a sea of colorful T-shirts as team members proudly flaunt their colors, names, and logos - and vie for top fundraising honors (75% of all monies raised underwrites breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs in Vermont and New Hampshire while the remaining 25% is dedicated to breast cancer research).
Forming a team starts with one individual, the Team Captain. She or he picks the appropriate category, registers, and names the team, either online or through paper registration (online registration is open now). Once the team is registered, other participants may join. And members need not participate in the same event; they may walk or run in the 5K or run in the new 10K race added this year. Even “Virtual Runners,” those who can’t make it to the Race but still want to take part, can form or join teams. Details are at komenvtnh.org.
There is no additional fee to form a team. It’s $35 for timed runners and walkers, $30 for untimed, and $15 for children under 12.
Teams co-chair Linda Maness said, “If an employer will pay for all or part of the registration fees, the team captain and all members can register online using a special registration code. The captain will need to contact me at email@example.com or (802) 325-3603 to request a code, which may then be used to register members online. Without the code, team members will need to enter their own payment information.”
For more information call (802) 362-2733 or visit komenvtnh.org. For more information visit www.komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN.