Three games, three wins
by Jack Deming
Oct 11, 2012 | 1969 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Twin Valley’s Colin Lozito, right, battles a Stratton defender in Saturday’s games. The Wildcats won 4-1.
Twin Valley’s Colin Lozito, right, battles a Stratton defender in Saturday’s games. The Wildcats won 4-1.
WILMINGTON-As a day of rain finally subsided and a rainbow stretched across Baker Field, the Twin Valley boys’ soccer team beat up on Windsor Thursday night, October 4, putting some polish on their play before the last home game of the season. Twin Valley jumped out to a 7-0 lead at halftime behind scoring from some usual suspects as well as first-time scorers.

Nick Nilsen struck within the first two minutes, on a rebound in front of the goal. This was a strategy coach Buddy Hayford had called for. “I told them, because the conditions were wet, there’s gonna be a lot of mistakes and a lot of garbage around the goal and we told them to take advantage of that.”

Hunter Therrien got his first goal of the year eight minutes in, while moments later, Colin Lozito went to work on back-to-back hat tricks. Lozito scored his first of three on a penalty kick in the right side of the net that Windsor’s diving goalie, Tanner Tibbetts, had no chance to save. Lozito would assist on Twin Valley’s next score as well, when Dal Nesbitt kicked one in from the top of the box at the 24-minute mark. Two minutes later Jacob Hicks would score his first goal of the season on a breakaway. Tibbetts charged a moment too early, giving Hicks the chance to float one over him for a 6-0 lead.

Nilsen would strike again with less than two minutes left in the first half on a flick from Therrien.

The Wildcats played a game of keep-away for the majority of the second half, allowing goalie Sam Molner to shed his gloves and play offense while Kyle Murdock covered the net.

Lozito would complete his hat trick 17 minutes into the second half, beating multiple defenders in the box and scoring an unassisted goal. Another own goal by Windsor would put the score at 9-0

“They played well,” said Hayford. “They moved the ball around very nicely, and defensively they were all over Windsor, so I said let’s knock it around as much as we can, make it look good, and get everyone involved.”

Twin Valley 4, Stratton 1

WILMINGTON-Twin Valley High School’s boys’ soccer coach Buddy Hayford said his team needed a close game after blowing out Windsor Thursday night. With the way the Wildcats’ season has gone, the closest game they could muster was a 4-1 victory over Stratton Mountain School on Saturday.

Two seniors would score for Twin Valley on Senior Day, with Hunter Therrien and Juan Carlos Carranza each netting a goal.

Therrien broke the ice three minutes in with a 20-yard blast from the right side. Stratton’s goalie held tough to his line but Therrien placed it where he had no chance, putting Twin Valley on the board 1-0. Carranza gave Twin Valley the two-score advantage at the 36-minute mark. Carranza, a late season addition from the JV squad, played a Colin Lozito throw-in into the box, and got his first goal of the year, giving the Wildcats a 2-0 advantage at the half.

“It was no doubt a team effort,” said Hayford. “They (Stratton) were not a bad team, they were competitive. We got a lot of good outside and midfield play and had the better of the play throughout the game.”

The teamwork continued in the second half as Lozito scored his seventh goal in three games at the 48-minute mark on a penalty kick. Twin Valley was awarded a kick after Stratton’s goalie took on Nick Nilsen outside the box and leveled him, rather than making an attempt at the ball. Lozito also gathered his second assist, passing one to Tony Tarr on the right side. Tarr kicked one to the far post to make it 4-0.

The Wildcats allowed one goal at the 64-minute mark when Brian Chen collected a rebound off a scramble in Twin Valley’s box, a rare disorganized moment from Twin Valley’s stingy defense.

Twin Valley would finish with 21 shots on the afternoon, with Wildcat keeper Sam Molner recording seven saves. Stratton was limited to 13.

Twin Valley 9, Windsor 0

WINDSOR-The Wildcats traveled to Windsor Monday afternoon for a rematch with a team they blew out on Thursday. Coach Buddy Hayford said this game would not be such a walk in the park. No team should be easy to beat when you play them on their own turf.

But Twin Valley came, saw, and conquered, with the exact same score, 9-0, putting their scoring ratio at 22-1 for the week.

Twin Valley went up 6-0 in the first half, backed by Hunter Therrien’s hat trick within 18 minutes. Tony Tarr got Twin Valley going six minutes in with a header off a Colin Lozito corner kick.

Within the next 12 minutes, Twin Valley got on the board four more times, with Therrien scoring his three goals, one assisted by Tarr on a beautiful through-ball that set up a one-on-one, while two others were unassisted. The Wildcats’ fourth goal of that span came on Windsor’s first of two own goals on the night.

At the 28-minute mark, Colin Lozito made the first of his two goals on an unassisted hustle play, after beating multiple Windsor defenders, putting the game at 6-0 at the half.

The onslaught continued in the second half, with Windsor’s second own goal of the night, and Lozito recording his second score of the night, on a pass from Dal Nesbitt. Nesbitt got into the scoring action on a pass from brother Cade Nesbitt at the 65-minute mark. Hayford was happy to see Nesbitt get on the board. “Its nice to see him rewarded for his efforts with a goal. He’s a guy who always plays well, and really kicks well every time.”

Windsor’s goalie Tanner Tibbetts had a valiant 31 saves on the night, but with a weak defense in front of him, he couldn’t possibly stop Twin Valley’s offense. Sam Molner, meanwhile, only had to record two saves, and was relieved of duty with 20 minutes left by backup keeper Kyle Murdock.

“From now on it’s going to be tough” said Hayford. “We have three games left and they’re all on the road. That was our last walk in the park.”

Twin Valley improves to 10-1. The Wildcats travel to Stratton on Saturday at 3 pm, for a rematch after last week’s 4-1 victory,

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

Comment Policy

In an effort to promote reasoned discussion, transparency, and integrity in online commenting, The Deerfield Valley News requires anyone posting comments to identify themselves using their real name. Anonymous commenting will not be allowed. All comments will be subject to approval before posting, and may take up to 24 hours for approval to be granted.

We encourage civil discourse among readers, and ask that they be willing to stand behind their identities and their comments. No personal harassment or hate speech will be tolerated. Please be succinct and to the point. For longer comments, please consider submitting a letter to the editor instead. It will appear in both the print and online editions.

All comments will be reviewed, and we reserve the right to reject, edit or remove any comment for any reason. For questions or to express concerns feel free to contact our office at (802) 464-3388.