This Week in History
Mar 05, 2018 | 1991 views | 1 1 comments | 86 86 recommendations | email to a friend | print
In 1973, four people were injured in a plane crash at Mount Snow Airport when their single-engine Beechcraft plunged into the woods adjacent to the runway.
In 1973, four people were injured in a plane crash at Mount Snow Airport when their single-engine Beechcraft plunged into the woods adjacent to the runway.
10 years ago:

Wilmington held an informational meeting for a garage bond to be voted on by Australian ballot on Town Meeting day. Before the meeting, the highway department hosted an open house at their existing town garage, which was built in the early 1960s. Visitors were taken on a guided tour of the building, carefully moving through the road equipment shoe-horned into the garage. The trucks and plows had to be fit together like a jigsaw puzzle to get everything inside.

15 years ago:

The Senate approved changes to Act 60 that included an increase in the statewide tax rate and the per-pupil block grant. But the dreaded ‘shark’ pool, the local name for an Act 60 fund into which towns with large grand lists paid for the benefit of towns with lower grand lists, remained in effect for most per-pupil spending over the state block grant.

20 years ago:

Joseph Szarejko was appointed as Wilmington Police Chief. He had been serving as acting chief since the resignation of Thomas Donnelly four months earlier. Szarejko was recommended by a search committee that included Dover Police Chief Robert Edwards and former selectboard member Ann Manwaring. Szarejko has been with the department since July 1982.

Whitingham was in the enviable position of having a $295,000 surplus in their general fund. Selectboard members proposed using about half of the money to reduce tax liabilities for the coming year, and using the other half to create a reserve fund so that the town would no longer need to borrow money in anticipation of taxes.

25 years ago:

Local residents were thrilled to have a snowy winter for the first time in many years. Weather-watcher Phyllis Shippee said it was the most snow on record since 1971. Shippee said 37 inches of snow had fallen in February, and Mount Snow said 144 inches had fallen since the beginning of the season.

35 years ago:

Wilmington Moderator Peter Barton was presented with a gavel for his service and dedication to Town Meeting. Barton urged Wilmington voters not to “ever, for one minute, consider giving up Town Meeting. I think it is very patriotic and a fine way for people to express themselves in an open forum regarding their concerns on the operation of their town and school.”

40 years ago:

Wilmington village was evacuated and all power to the village was shut off to diminish the risk of an explosion after a propane leak was reported at a downtown restaurant and inn. According to Wilmington Fire Chief Barker Willard, the situation was under control and people were back in their homes with the power restored within an hour.

45 years ago:

Four people were injured in a plane crash at Mount Snow Airport when their single-engine Beechcraft plunged into the woods adjacent to the runway. The plane came to rest about 70 yards from the edge of the runway, and was completely destroyed after crashing through the treetops. According to reports, the crash may have gone unnoticed for some time, if one of the injured passengers, a 12-year-old girl, hadn’t crawled from the wreckage and walked through the deep snow to alert airport personnel.

Whitingham officials sought $32,000 for a fund to build a new firehouse, in part because Wilmington’s fire engines were too large to fit in Whitingham’s firehouse – which was a problem when Wilmington was sent to Whitingham on cover assignments under their mutual aid agreement. Fire department member John Brigham said the Whitingham facility was inadequate, with no running water and no room for department members to gather.

50 years ago:

A fire destroyed Wilmington Auto Sales, located on Route 100 where WW Building Supply is today. In addition to the building, three cars in the repair shop were destroyed, along with two new Saabs on the showroom floor. The building had only been completed a few months earlier, and damage was estimated at about $50,000. But owner Roger Moody vowed to begin rebuilding within the week. In the meantime, Moody set up a temporary repair shop in a new two-car garage on Wheeler Farm. Most of the cars on the lot, including a very snazzy looking 1965 Mustang, were undamaged.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
Bill Semore Olenik
March 08, 2018
After that plane crash in 73 I contracted to widen the airport by clearing mostly rock maples adjoining the runway,I went through a whole roll of chainsaw chain on that job because when they built the airport they blasted rock without blast blankets and the trees surrounding the airport were riddled with stones embedded in the wood and had been grown over so your could not see them.I learned to cuss a lot that job...Bob North had hired me .

Comment Policy

In an effort to promote reasoned discussion, transparency, and integrity in online commenting, The Deerfield Valley News requires anyone posting comments to identify themselves using their real name. Anonymous commenting will not be allowed. All comments will be subject to approval before posting, and may take up to 24 hours for approval to be granted.

We encourage civil discourse among readers, and ask that they be willing to stand behind their identities and their comments. No personal harassment or hate speech will be tolerated. Please be succinct and to the point. For longer comments, please consider submitting a letter to the editor instead. It will appear in both the print and online editions.

All comments will be reviewed, and we reserve the right to reject, edit or remove any comment for any reason. For questions or to express concerns feel free to contact our office at (802) 464-3388.