TVHS boys lose two, but finish strong with two straight wins
by Jack Deming
Feb 21, 2013 | 1371 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Twin Valley’s Eli Park drives past Leland & Gray’s Drew Barnum during last Thursday’s game in Townshend.
Twin Valley’s Eli Park drives past Leland & Gray’s Drew Barnum during last Thursday’s game in Townshend.
TOWNSHEND- Regardless of the outcome, the Twin Valley boys’ basketball team played one of its most complete games of the season Thursday night, in an overtime loss at Leland & Gray.

Dal Nesbitt got the Wildcats off to a quick start, scoring Twin Valley’s first eight points, while the defense worked an effective half-court trap that forced four early Rebel turnovers. The Rebels cleaned up their act, to score eight straight. Nesbitt finished the first quarter with all 11 of Twin Valley’s points, including three layups in a row to close the quarter. DJ Lazelle and Cade Nesbitt came up with big blocks to keep the Wildcats in front at the end of the first quarter.

The Rebels kept the match close in the second, trading the lead with Twin Valley four times. Hunter Therrien, Colin Lozito, and Dal Nesbitt each came up with four points in the quarter, while Lozito threw full-court passes to set up easy buckets, and the Wildcats kept slipping past the Rebel defense in transition. Sometimes the Wildcats’ adrenaline and ball handling did not mesh and the season-long struggles with making easy layups and inside shots continued late into the game. Twin Valley had the game in their control at the end of the third, up 32-28.

Cade Nesbitt, who was everywhere throughout the game making big plays, hit a three-pointer to put Twin Valley up by five, finished off with a fist pump. Nesbitt would hit another clutch three after Michael Bergeron got Leland & Gray within two, 40-38, with 3:20 left. With two minutes left, Sam Molner came up with a big block for the Wildcats to maintain a three-point lead.

With the game in their control, the Wildcats couldn’t hold on, committing two late turnovers that gave the Rebels a chance. Drew Barnum was fouled as he went to the rack and hit his free throw, tying the match at 45, and sending the game to overtime.

Cade Nesbitt once again put his team ahead with two free throws to begin the extra period, but the Wildcats were held without a score for the remainder of the game as Bergeron once again scored on a three-point play to put Leland & Gray up 49-47. With 19 seconds left, the Wildcats were able to take a last shot, with Dal Nesbitt missing just wide of the hoop on a three-point attempt to tie the game. The Rebels scored on two more foul shots to ice the game 52-47.

The Nesbitt brothers combined for 30 Twin Valley points, while Eli Park pulled down six rebounds and Lozito recorded seven assists.

Poultney 52, TV 42

WILMINGTON- Playing less than 24 hours after an overtime loss to Leland & Gray, the Twin Valley Wildcats were tasked with playing the 10-6 Poultney Blue Devils. The game began much like the previous night’s match with Dal Nesbitt scoring the Wildcats’ first seven points. Poultney was physical, fast, and bigger, but the Wildcats kept them in check, forcing bad shots and playing hands-up defense. A full-court press kept a good flow of turnovers going as well, which translated to a 21-8 lead in the second quarter.

Poultney began to battle back late in the second quarter, going on a 13-0 run to end the half, including a buzzer beater by Sam White that tied the game at 21.

Sam Molner put the Wildcats up 26-23 with a big three-point shot in the third, but Twin Valley went cold again, allowing a nine-point run and giving Poultney a six-point lead 32-26. The Blue Devils kept adding to their lead and reached a 40-30 advantage before Dal Nesbitt hit a three to bring the lead to seven at the end of three.

Twin Valley was clearly out of juice by the fourth quarter, and while Cade Nesbitt came up with a big two points off a steal to begin the fourth, Poultney scored 12 points in the fourth including six straight from James Olsen. The Blue Devils left Wilmington with a 52-42 win.

Dal Nesbitt recorded a double-double for Twin Valley with 24 points and 10 rebounds. Sam Molner had 12 boards, and Lozito recorded eight assists.

TV 65, LG 57

CHESTER- Only four days after Leland & Gray defeated Twin Valley in an overtime thriller, the Wildcat boys got their shot at redemption and took it with a convincing 65-57 win to wrap up the weather-delayed Green Mountain Tournament.

Seven out of the eight Wildcats who saw action shot above 50% from the field and four scored in double digits. Twin Valley also shot 59% from the free-throw line, a place where they have struggled all season.

Colin Lozito rebounded from his two-game scoring dry spell to lead the Wildcats with 20 points on 67% shooting, and completed the double-double with 11 assists. Dal and Cade Nesbitt combined for 30 points, and Sam Molner added 10. Dal Nesbitt led rebounders with seven.

TV 59, GM 41

WILMINGTON- The Twin Valley boys finished their season with a win at home against Green Mountain Wednesday night, marking only the second time this season they were able to achieve back-to-back wins.

The Green Mountain Chieftains were outmatched from start to finish, and the Wildcats were able to play their entire bench, getting key points from freshman Justin Hicks (7), senior Jason Moore (4), and juniors Jeremy Hunt (2) and Dylan Johnson (6).

Twin Valley got another high-percentage shooting night from Colin Lozito who led all scorers with 20, and Hunter Therrien who scored a season-high 15 points. Therrien also racked up eight of Twin Valley’s 39 rebounds and five of their 18 steals in his last home game as a Twin Valley Wildcat. Twin Valley ended the game with only their fourth double-digit victory of the season, winning 59-41.

The Wildcats finish their season at 8-12. Playoff pairings will be announced next week. The Wildcats currently are ranked 13th in the D-IV standings, and will be on the road for their playoff opener.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

Comment Policy

In an effort to promote reasoned discussion, transparency, and integrity in online commenting, The Deerfield Valley News requires anyone posting comments to identify themselves using their real name. Anonymous commenting will not be allowed. All comments will be subject to approval before posting, and may take up to 24 hours for approval to be granted.

We encourage civil discourse among readers, and ask that they be willing to stand behind their identities and their comments. No personal harassment or hate speech will be tolerated. Please be succinct and to the point. For longer comments, please consider submitting a letter to the editor instead. It will appear in both the print and online editions.

All comments will be reviewed, and we reserve the right to reject, edit or remove any comment for any reason. For questions or to express concerns feel free to contact our office at (802) 464-3388.