Fire destroys Poverty Row home
by Mike Eldred
May 23, 2013 | 5961 views | 1 1 comments | 30 30 recommendations | email to a friend | print
All that is left after a fire destroyed this Poverty  Row home on Monday.
All that is left after a fire destroyed this Poverty Row home on Monday.
WHITINGHAM- A structure fire on Poverty Row Monday afternoon has left two families homeless.

According to Whitingham Fire Chief Stanley Janovsky, nobody was home when the fire started. The blaze was reported by a driver who noticed flames and smoke from the road. “We were toned out at 2:30 pm, and got there within three minutes,” Janovsky said, “But it was already fully involved.”

Even with the quick response, the chalet-style house couldn’t be saved. When firefighters arrived, the fire was so intense that Janovsky deemed it unsafe for interior fire fighting. “There was a strong breeze fanning the flames,” Janovsky said. “The roof collapsed about five minutes after we got there.”

The breeze that whipped up the flames also pushed the fire toward the back of the property – bushes close to the windward side of the building were barely affected by the flames, while the grass was scorched all around the leeward side of the house. Firefighters ran a 4-inch line down Town Hill Road and hooked up to a dry hydrant at a firefighting pond near the bottom of the hill. With plenty of water available, firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading, despite the wind.

By 3 pm, there was little left of the structure, and firefighters were dousing hot spots with hand lines. “When the upstairs collapsed into the basement, it covered some of the living space down there, so we had mattresses burning under the debris,” said Janovsky.

Although homeowner John Galaske Sr. works at his business located on the same property, Bad Boys Automotive, he wasn’t home at the time. Janovsky says Galaske Sr. happened to be headed to Bennington at the time of the fire.

Other residents of the house, John Galaske Jr., his wife Sarah, and their children, were also away from the property at the time. Galaske Jr. is a partner in Bad Boys Automotive.

Both families lost all of their possessions to the fire. The family stayed at a Wilmington motel, according to Janovsky, and Twice Blessed, a community organization serving residents of the Deerfield Valley, has provided emergency cash and clothing. Although a relief fund hadn’t yet been set up for the Galaske families as of press time, a Twice Blessed representative said that checks to Twice Blessed could be earmarked for the Galaskes. To make a donation or for more information contact Twice Blessed at (802) 464-7500, or stop by the Twice Blessed thrift store at 716 Route 100 North in Wilmington.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
Wendy Ingraham
May 23, 2013
Those of us who know and love this family were shocked, saddened and then unbelievably relieved that nobody was home at the time of this fire. I hope the community comes together to help this family rebuild their lives....I know a great many personal possessions were lost and I am quite sure it is the hardest on the children......and it's heartbreaking. But I am so grateful that nobody was hurt,not even the family pooch. Massive hugs for the entire family. Sarah Galaske had just lost her grandmother the week before and I know this loss affected the entire family even before this tragedy struck.

Comment Policy

In an effort to promote reasoned discussion, transparency, and integrity in online commenting, The Deerfield Valley News requires anyone posting comments to identify themselves using their real name. Anonymous commenting will not be allowed. All comments will be subject to approval before posting, and may take up to 24 hours for approval to be granted.

We encourage civil discourse among readers, and ask that they be willing to stand behind their identities and their comments. No personal harassment or hate speech will be tolerated. Please be succinct and to the point. For longer comments, please consider submitting a letter to the editor instead. It will appear in both the print and online editions.

All comments will be reviewed, and we reserve the right to reject, edit or remove any comment for any reason. For questions or to express concerns feel free to contact our office at (802) 464-3388.