Fatal accident closes Route 100 for hours
by Mike Eldred
Nov 15, 2012 | 4920 views | 0 0 comments | 13 13 recommendations | email to a friend | print
rt 100 crash 11-15
This delivery truck from WW Building Supply was empty when the driver swerved to avoid a vehicle that had crossed into its lane on Route 100.  The truck pinned a third vehicle against the guardrail.
view slideshow (2 images)
WILMINGTON- A Route 100 crash that took the life of a Wilmington man is still under investigation, according to police.

Rocco Corsaro, 82, was driving north on Route 100 when he drifted across the center line and into the path of an oncoming truck. Wilmington Police Chief Joe Szarejko said investigators are still looking for an explanation of what may have caused Corsaro to cross into the oncoming lane.

Corsaro’s vehicle struck an unloaded WW Building Supply truck driven by Don Derby, of Halifax. Derby attempted, unsuccessfully, to avoid the collision with Corsaro by veering to the right, but Derby was unable to control the truck after it had gone off the roadway and into a ditch. The truck crossed into the northbound lane where it struck a Volvo station wagon driven by Janine Jeffords, of Townshend. 

Jeffords was traveling with two young children. Szarejko said the children weren’t injured in the crash, and were extricated by fire rescue personnel. “They were able to break the back window and get them out through the rear of the car,” said Szarejko.

Jeffords’ injuries were characterized as non-life-threatening, but it took rescue workers almost two-and-a-half hours to extricate her from the vehicle. Jeffords became pinned in the vehicle when the dash collapsed in the crash, and the vehicle was sandwiched between the delivery truck and a guardrail.

Deerfield Valley Rescue and fire rescue EMTs attended to Jeffords during the ordeal. She was treated at Brattleboro Memorial Hospital. “The fire department crews and rescue did a great job,” Szarejko said. 

Route 100 between Cold Brook Road and Higley Hill Road was closed for about four hours for the rescue and investigation.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet